Barrow face Whitehaven in all Cumbrian final


BARROW Raiders will face Whitehaven in an all Cumbrian League One Cup Final at Craven Park next Sunday after thrashing Newcastle Thunder.

While the Raiders were romping to victory, it was a different story at the Recreation Ground with Haven scraping through 21-20 against York City Knights in a match that went to extra, extra time after the scores were tied at 20-20 at full time.

Half back Jamie Dallimore was the architect in Barrow’s landslide victory. Not only did he amass a personal tally of 26 points – two tries, eight conversions and a penalty – but he also put a big shift in on defence as his side kept Thunder at bay.

There was also a big performance from Brad Marwood, drafted in for injured hooker Nathan Mossop. He helped himself to two tries and a conversion, adding the extras when Dallimore was brought off late in the game for a well-earned rest.

In all Barrow scored 10 tries – a brace each from Dallimore, Marwood and Shane Toal, plus others from Oliver Wilkes, who opened the scoring, Brett Carter, Ryan Fieldhouse and Lewis Charnock.

Barrow not only showed plenty of flair in attack, they were also gritty in defence giving no quarter to the visitors who left the ground empty handed.

After withstanding an early Thunder onslaught, Barrow, once they got into their groove, took control of the League One play-off semis.

Once they cut loose the result was never in doubt. Prop Wilkes opened Barrow’s account going over close to the posts after collecting from Dallimore, who kicked his first conversion of the match.

The lead was extended following a slick Jarrad Stack pass to pick out Shane Toal, and he accelerated past the Thunder defence with Dallimore again on target.

Dallimore got into the act again when, after collecting from half-back partner Lewis Charnock, he found a gap to score and was again on target.

Thunder tried hard to get back into the game but were unable to find any headway through a resilient Barrow back line, and with just 10 seconds to go before the interval Shane Toal put in a stinging tackle on a Thunder defender resulting in a quick scrum.

From it the ball went to Ryan Fieldhouse who skirted along the Thunder line, releasing winger Brett Carter and he dived over, this time, however, the kick proved too tricky for Dallimore.

Barrow looked to have extended their lead moments into the second half when Carter thought he had scored, but the referee ruled a knock on.

Dallimore put Barrow further ahead kicking a penalty awarded for holding down.

Fieldhouse then finished off a great three-man move, involving both Brad Marwood and Wilkes.

Before fans could catch their breath Barrow went 36-0 ahead with Shane Toal scoring his second try of the afternoon, and Dallimore again converting.

Marwood then wriggled through and a now tiring Thunder conceded a further try when Lewis Charnock waltzed through with Dallimore inevitably kicking the conversion.

Dallimore scored his second try of the game, dummying around Thunder’s defence bring up the half century and then added the extras.

There was enough time for Marwood to score again when he finished off a slick move created in Barrow’s own half through Hulme and continued by Karl Ashall.

Barrow probably didn’t expect such a one-sided result after what had been a close encounter at Newcastle earlier in the season.

The win sees them now stand just 80 minutes away from earning a place in the Championship.

One thing is certain Barrow coach Paul Crarey will have his team well prepared for the visit of Whitehaven in a match which is sure to test the credentials of both sides.


BARROW RAIDERS: Ryan Fieldhouse, Brett Carter, Declan Hulme, Eze Harper, Shane Toal, Jamie Dallimore, Lewis Charnock, Joe Bullock, Karl Ashall, Oliver Wilkes, Danny Morrow, Jarrard Stack, Dan Toal. Subs (all used): Brad Marwood, Tom Walker, Matty While, James Duerden.

NEWCASTLE THUNDER: Lewis Young, Dan Parker, Derrell Olipherts, Joe Brown, Alistair Blair, Thomas Shaw, Benn Hardcastle, Liam McAvoy, Evan Simons, Callum Bustin, Rhys Clarke, Harry Aldous, Jack Aldous. Subs (all used): Matthew Barron, Daniel Thurland, Vincent Rennie, Aarol Teroi.

Referee: Gregory Dolan.

1 Reply to "Barrow face Whitehaven in all Cumbrian final"

  • comment-avatar
    26th September 2017 (6:06 pm)

    Good luck Barrow in the final from Paul in Canada.

Comment Below

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.