Barrow Raiders 28 – Hunslet Hawks 20 – Full-Time


FULLBACK Ryan Fieldhouse produced a late, late show to clinch victory for Barrow against a Hunslet side reduced to 11 in a fiesty affair at Craven Park on Saturday.

But his try, two minutes from time, probably won’t be the biggest talking point of the League One clash in which  Hunslet forward Sean Hesketh saw red for a high shot on Martin Aspinwall, sparking a second half brawl, and George Flanagan being shown a yellow late in the game.

Barrow’s eighth League One win did not come easy against a determined Hunslet.

After going close early in the clash some sloppy defending allowed Hunslet  to counter and they took full advantage as Hesketh forced his way over from close range.

It shook Barrow into reality and good breaks from Jamie Dallimore and Nathan Mossop saw them push deep into the visitors’ territory.

But Hunslet reassembled and, moving the ball swiftly,  they looked to increase their tally until  Dallimore collected from close to his line and in another quick counter attack fed Eze Harper, back at Barrow for a second spell.

The centre evaded a number of attempted tackles before releasing Luke Cresswell, on his shoulder.

As the pair moved rapidly upfield Cresswell returned the favour and  Harper to scored under the posts in a classy passage of play.

Barrow tried to pile on the pressure, but a stray pass close to the Hunslet line was intercepted by Jimmy Watson who released Danny Ansell, with the half-back showing clean pair of heels to score, later adding his own conversion.

A freakish incident from the restart saw Watson fumble with the ever-alert Dallimore gleefully scooping up the spilled ball to dash under the posts with Charnock kicking the goal.

Barrow appeared to have stemmed the Hunslet flow, but the Yorkshire outfit still had something to say before the interval and Flanagan left the Raiders defence bamboozled, selling a dummy close to the line before dashing under the posts, with Ansell on target with the conversion.

Another touch of Dallimore magic saw Barrow  draw level in the 44th minute when he collected on the fifth tackle, chipping into space and then collecting to  put  Fieldhouse in with Charnock adding the extras.

Howver, play flowed to the other end and Hunslet went ahead once again through an Ansell penalty.

Parity was restored with Charnock sending a penalty between the sticks, and he  extended Barrow’s  lead with a second penalty, this time for a high tackle, as the side edged 22-20 ahead with Fieldhouse wrapping up the win.

His try sparked some more unpleasantness which saw Flanagan being sent to the sin-bin, with the hooter going moments later.

BARROW RAIDERS: Ryan Fieldhouse, Brett Carter, Declan Hulme, Eze Harper, Luke Cresswell, Jamie Dallimore, Lewis Charnock, Joe Bullock, Nathan Mossop, Tom Walker, Danny Morrow, Jarrad Stack, Martin Aspinwall. Subs: Karl Ashall, Andrew Dawson, Dan Toal, James Duerden.

HUNSLET HAWKS: Jimmy Watson, Josh Nathaniel, Mucard Muododo, Cameron Leeming, Marcus Webb, Joel Gibson, Danny Ansell, Sean Hesketh, Jack Lee, Michael Haley, Aston Wilson, Liam Macky, Nyal Flynn. Subs: George Flanagan, Matt Carbitt, Jack Wilson, Jack Coventry.

Referee: Callum Straw.


Updates from the game can be seen below:


1 Reply to "Barrow Raiders 28 - Hunslet Hawks 20 - Full-Time"

  • comment-avatar
    Gary H
    3rd June 2017 (7:16 pm)

    Bit sloppy from the Raiders need to cut out the penaltys,

Comment Below

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.