Ironmen melt under relentless Barrow pressure


BARROW’S exciting run continued as they racked up their 12th successive win against a hard-working South Wales Ironmen at Craven Park on Saturday.

Two tries each from Luke Cresswell, Ryan Fieldhouse and Nathan Mossop plus others from Tom Loxam, Karl Ashall, James Duerden, Danny Morrow and Ryan Johnston plus five Lewis Charnock goals and two from Johnston sealed the win.

Apart from a few sloppy moments it was another job done by Paul Crarey’s side who now travel to Keighley this Wednesday, before heading to Super League Leeds Rhinos for their Challenge Cup sixth round clash on Sunday.

Barrow went into the break leading 34-6 yet despite the seemingly one-sided score line they didn’t have it their own way against South Wales.

After going into an early lead when Fieldhouse was on the end of a three man move, Barrow had a lucky escape when Paul Emanuelli dropped the ball in front of the sticks.

South Wales were soon to pay a big price for the missed chance when ever impressive centre Declan Hulme fed winger Loxam to scorch in for his first try in a Raiders shirt.

Ashall, back after recovering from a broken arm which kept him out of action for four months, added to the Ironmen’s woes with another touchdown, but the visitors refused to buckle and Halifax loan player Sion Jones reduced the gap with Emanuelli adding the extras.

But Barrow found another spurt as Ryan Johnston collected Duerden’s kick through to score, Brad Brennan then went over but the score was ruled out for obstruction.

However, Barrow soon found another gap in the South Wales defence with Nathan Mossop scoring, then Duerden forced his way through with Charnock kicking his fifth goal.

South Wales struck first blood after the break through Jamie I’Anson and tried to add to their score as they gained territorial advantage but were unable to find another gap in Barrow’s overworked defence.

Suddenly Barrow, who had made six changes for the game, recovered and after putting South Wales on the backfoot, Fieldhouse’s pass to Cresswell paid dividends with the winger scoring, with the provider stretching their lead against a tiring South Wales.

Danny Morrow increased Barrow’s lead after a superb take from Johnson to score, and the home side were back in firm control.

South Wales hardly had time to breathe before Joe Bullock broke from deep inside his own half to run clear, and found Mossop on his shoulder who beat the defence to score with Johnston kicking the extras.

Barrow cut loose again as Hulme burst clear to find Ashall who set Cresswell up for his second try with Johnston again on target.

Connor Farrer made the most of a Barrow mistake when he scooped up the ball close to the line to run over, with Emanuelli adding the extras.

The win saw Barrow end the match in a buoyant mood but left South Wales still searching for their first league win of the campaign.

Now all attention for Barrow is on Keighley as they look to put continued pressure on Toronto Wolfpack.

Catch Paul Crarey and Nathan Mossop’s after match interviews on the Raiders Facebook page.

BARROW RAIDERS: Ryan Fieldhouse, Luke Cresswell, Declan Hulme, Jarrad Stack, Thomas Loxam, Ryan Johnston, Lewis Charnock, Joe Bullock, Karl Ashall, Tom Walker, Danny Morrow, Dan Toal, Matty While. Subs: Nathan Mossop, Brad Brennan, Andrew Dawson, James Duerden.

SOUTH WALES IRONMEN: Andrew Gay, Connor McGrath, Morgan Jefferies, Ashley Bateman, Ben Jones, Paul Emanuelli, Shaun Owens, Jamie l’Anson, Connor Farrer, Connor Parker, Zak Williams, Christiaan Roets, Christopher Vitalini. Subs: Kristian Baller, Sion Jones, Jordan Antony Syme, Kade Breen.

Referee: Liam Staveley.

Match Updates from today’s game are below sorted from oldest to newest.

No Replies to "Ironmen melt under relentless Barrow pressure"

    Comment Below

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.