Barrow Raiders 36 – Whitehaven 10 – Full Match Report & Cresta’s Comments

Full Match Report below, thanks to Leo Clarke.


BARROW Raiders maintained their unbeaten start to the season after disposing of Whitehaven at Craven Park on Sunday.

Despite dominating the first half, in which they scored 30 unanswered points, Barrow had the brakes put on them by the visitors after the interval, restricting them to just one touchdown.

But despite Haven coming more into the match watched by a crowd of 759, Raiders coach Paul Crarey would have been satisfied by the defensive and attacking qualities shown by his side.

Barrow carved through the visitors at will in the one-sided opening half where substitute Luke Cresswell claimed a double as his team showed Whitehaven the way to the whitewash.

Half-backs Jamie Dallimore and Lewis Charnock quickly established a foothold for Barrow it didn’t take long for them to sniff out opportunities.

Barrow’s first arrived in the fifth minute when prop Oliver Wilkes used his strength to power over from close range, with Charnock kicking the first of six conversions.

They surged further ahead in the ninth minute after wingman Brett Carter finished off a flowing move across the line involving Dallimore, Charnock and Ryan Fieldhouse, who had to leave the field soon after with injury.

Dallimore then produced something special when he skipped past Whitehaven’s defence to score under the posts, leaving Charnock a straight forward kick.

Cresswell then got into the act with his first touchdown with the second awarded as a penalty try after an infringement was spotted.

The half will have caused some injury headaches with last week’s four-try hero Shane Toal going off in the first minute with a facial injury. He was followed by Fieldhouse, with Dan Toal also receiving treatment.

But Barrow continued to put their foot on the attack pedal early in the second half with Wilkes going over for his second try after neat play from Dallimore, however Haven fought their way back into contention with two Jessie Joe Parker tries, one of which was converted by Paul Crook.

The match overheated in the 70th minute when a scuffle broke out on the halfway line, which resulted in Whitehaven’s Connor Holliday sin-binned for fighting.

But despite being down to 12-men Whitehaven continued to press, putting Barrow’s defence to the test late in the game, but they were unable to find any further gaps.

Barrow host Coventry Bears next Sunday, where they will be looking to continue with their unbeaten run after drawing 22-22 against Championship Oldham and beating Barrow and District 92-4.


Find out what Head Coach Paul Crarey had to say about the game below…

And view the live match updates from today’s game below…

No Replies to "Barrow Raiders 36 - Whitehaven 10 - Full Match Report & Cresta's Comments"

    Comment Below

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.